Thursday, November 17, 2011

love, grief and a story of TRIUMPH


My grandfather died November 11, 2011. For about 48 hours I did nothing but cry and sleep. He was the most amazing and honorable man, I was the first grandchild, so of course, I was his favorite. 

In my mind anyway. 

Long story short, my grandfather had quite a few health issues but continued to work a farm and take care of his great grandchild. He had just completed her adoption about two weeks prior to his death. He made sure she was taken care of financially, emotionally and physically. 

He also did the same for me. If ever I needed advice, food, pretty much any damn thing. He gave it. Freely.

My mother was a single mom for a while and he was one of the father figures that I longed to please. If I can strive to be just HALF of the person he was, then I will be living one hell of a life. I have had to face some mortality issues, knowing a loved one can be pulled from us so quickly, with absolutely no warning.

Now, that being said, when I die, who will care for my babies?? My husband of course, but who will be the feminine figure for my children? Who will pick out their prom dresses with them, who will "love" their new hair cuts? Who will explain to them that tampons look scary but in reality, are pretty tame compared to other feminine issues this world throws at us women?? *Childbirth?* holy shit. Fortunately, I dont have to think deeply about this because I am generally healthy. What about moms who become ill, who really have to look at themselves in the mirror and ask "Where will I be when my baby girl goes to prom?, will I survive?" But this isnt a sad story, this is a story about courage.


Courage.

It takes serious courage to face illness when children are involved. As a mother you love your babies more than ANYTHING and would GLADLY take down anyone who would wish them harm. What if the unthinkable happens? What if you're not there? This is a scary and sad moment when you realize you may NOT be there, I can only imagine the strength required to fight a terrifying illness along with raising your children while enduring harsh chemotherapy treatments, among other equally harsh interventions. 


At this time, it is MY pleasure to feature a wonderful lady who is a courageous mama who has battled mesothelioma and WON, Heather Von St James.

Her daughter was only three months old when she was diagnosed and did she lay down and take it?? NO WAY!!! Six years later she is CANCER FREE!!! What a survivor!! After chatting via email for a bit, I believe I can vouch for how very delightful she is to speak with and how BEAUTIFUL miss Lily Rose was (def need some updated pics on your blog mama!! She was a GORGEOUS newborn!!) Please check out Heather's blog and be encouraged and inspired!! 

Heather's Blog on Mesothelioma.com!!!

Thanks for reaching out Heather!! It was a pleasure to get to know you and I was blessed by your story!! Keep up the great work and continue living the good, the bad, the ugly, motherhood dream!!! A beautiful story of triumph is exactly what my heart needed!!!




1 comment: